Download PDF Copy: Meeting Notes-March 12 2018
PTA General Meeting
Date: March 12, 2018
Location: BSES Media Room
Subject: Monthly General Meeting
Meeting was called to order by Elizabeth Aviles at 6:31pm.
President Update: Elizabeth Aviles
- Approval of minutes from February 12, 2018 called by Elizabeth Aviles and seconded by Mrs. Waltermire.
- There will be a form next year for activity funds for teachers to fill out so that we are able to start planning for next year’s budget.
- 304 members in the PTA at this time.
- Elizabeth asked all the chairs and board to start working on their end of year reports.
- We are actively recruiting the following positions
- VP of Fundraising
- VP of Activities
- Restaurant Night Chair
- Staff Appreciation Chair
- Volunteer Chair
- Hershey’s Park Chair
- Cheetah Challenge Co-Chair
- Thank you Vicky Bernal for taking the Membership Chair and Box Top Coordinator positions! We really appreciate you stepping up!
- First grade teacher spotlight during today’s meeting.
Administration Update: Principal Hahn
- Wednesday, March 14th will be Kindness Ties us Together in support of tragedy in Florida.
- Last week there was a meeting at Rockburn for the new families who will be transitioning to Rockburn. May 23rd there will be a field trip for those transitioning.
- 70 students redistricted to Rockburn next year; as of right now we will have 31 classrooms vs. the 33 we have this year.
- Emergency plans being practiced during school for safety.
- Howard County schools are looking at the safest way to allow visitors into the building.
- Spring break changed: There will now be school on April 4,5,6th.
- March 29th- Google Expeditions will be coming to Bellows Spring.
- Friday Folders- MAP scores will be coming home in folders (grades 1-5).
- Old Stockbridge construction will be ongoing through May or June.
- 5th graders just finished MESA testing their science knowledge.
- Chorus concert will be May 17th.
Treasurer Update: Aaron Copsey
- We are $10,000 above what we hoped to end our year with but we still have some expenditures that will happen before they year ends.
- Extending classroom cash for teachers to June 1st.
Vice President’s Report
- VP Fundraising: Heidi Roberts
- Hershey Park flyer went home with students and is due back by March 23rd.
- VP Activities: Carla Sjoholm
- Bingo Night was rescheduled to March 23rd.
- Cakes are being remade by teachers.
- More volunteers needed for the event.
Standing Committee Reports Restaurant Night
- Restaurant Night is on March 21st at Green Turtle.
- April 17th will be McDonalds, 20% will go back to the school. Teachers being asked to work there and be involved.
- Two more Restaurant Nights to be determined.
- Next movie night will be on May 11th, movie TBD.
- PTAHCH meeting was last Monday, March 5th.
- Better security strategies for high schoolers being looked at, and getting a lockdown procedure in place.
- Diversity issues were discussed with Dr. Kevin Gilbert.
- Passing for freezing of developments for schools with 105% capacity.
- After School Drama is going well, roles are being distributed.
- Wizard of Oz will be on May 30th and June 1st.
- Volunteers working on costumes and sets, some students are also helping out.
- Mrs. Ivey and Mrs. Rivera will be doing a pilot drama workshop for the wait listed families on 5 Thursdays in April/May.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:54pm.